Saturday, April 18, 2009

Corelli's Cafe Gallery

Address: 352 King St Newtown, NSW 2042
Tel: (02) 9550 4080
Open Daily 7am-11:59pm

I love this seedy-looking café run by women of strange fashions, it is always bustling in the prime property that is King St, Newtown.

The mocha coffee is unforgettable, (probably made using a dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate), and always served with a chocolate tiny teddy biscuit. I only feel that way about 3 mocha coffees in Australia to date, and this is ranked #2.


The first and last time I was here my friend had the beef burger (which I mistakened for the steak sandwich, pictured below) which I eyed jealously. The steak sandwich was nothing out of the ordinary, but the beef burger is served with coleslaw salad and an interesting mayonnaise-eqsue sauce.


Also pictured here is the Risotto Verte – i.e. “green risotto”. Made with asparagus, broccoli, green beans, peas and other vegies to make any primary school kid cringe.
Suprisingly, it was a creative light & tasty (and healthy! Bonus points!) rendition of a traditional risotto.


I ordered the Hungarian goulash because my eyes were bigger than my stomach (again) and suffered a horrible bloating death afterwards.


Cold weather and relaxed evenings do not assist in these circumstances. The view of the kitchen is never a pre-emptive inviting sight, however the home-style meals here which are modestly priced with a coffee is worth it.