Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wasabi Japanese Teppanyaki


Shop 7/ 18 Flinders Way, Griffith 2603
Ph: (02) 6295 8777


Opening Hours


Lunch: 7 Days, 11.30am - 3.00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday, 5.30pm - 11.00pm

Teppanyaki Times
: Tuesday - Thursday 6pm, 7pm & 8pm; Friday - Sunday 6pm & 8pm

I’m not usually a fan of Teppanyaki after a very traumatising experience in Sydney (it was a disastrous date, don’t ever wear your favourite silk dress to Teppanyaki), so decided to opt out of the group set menu and order my own a la carte.


For entrée: Assorted Sashimi set – consisting of Raw Tuna, Salmon and some white fish which I suspect was either yellowtail or red snapper (the other 2 raw fishes on the menu).

For some strange reason I was craving it, although I think I overdid it trying to finish this on my own. Don’t feel that the fish was overly fresh, but it wasn’t enough to give me food poisoning.

For main: Wasabi’s Three Jewels – “Three of the most famous Japanese dishes, Teriyaki Chicken, Tempura Prawn and Ginger Beef served in a platter”. The beef was tender, diced cubes of possibly a scotch fillet, lightly seasoned with a sweet soy sauce. The texture: separates in an ‘al dente’ fashion for meat. The teriyaki chicken had pleasant crisped edges, in a light sweet soy flavour marinade. Prawn Tempura was, a very bland savoury batter, complemented in a light dipping sauce & served with rice.

Dessert: Green Tea Icecream - Ice cold, not molten, strong distinct tea aftertaste - very enjoyable without being too sweet or sickening.
My dishes were nice when they came out, but paled in comparison by the hot stuff coming off the teppanyaki assembly line of the people sitting beside me. Teppanyaki is a character building exercise - somehow without ordering teppanyaki I still managed to get rice all over me because the person sitting next to me was a bad bowl-of-rice catcher. It is much more enjoyable to watch others in suffering.