Tuesday, April 14, 2009

(Barramundi Boys) Fish Cafe

Address: 461 The Esplanade, cnr Cambridge Pde, Manly Harbour Village, MANLY, QLD 4179
Tel: 07 3893 0195
Website: www.fishcafe.com.au

This café is a real nice getaway in the “marina” suburb of Manly in Brisbane. It faces the marina, with contemporary décor & furnishings and friendly staff.

The dishes are huge, so don’t do what I did and eat an almost $100 lunch for 2 people with a lot of wastage.

I was dying to try the Crabmeat Lasagne - "Layered sandcrab meat lasagne with preserved lemon & chive bechamel served with mixed leaves & Moreton Bay Bug bisque" – simply unheard of! I’ve had red meat, chicken and vegetarian lasagnes so this seafood derivation would be a real treat. I’m also not a fan of crab (usually) but when the meat is pre-extracted for me, I am much more enthusiastic and easily swayed. So I shared this dish, just to get a taste, as an entrée.


The lasagne wasn’t prepared in an orderly fashion, no clear-cut layers, but rather a melding of different flavours, leaving you with a warm & fuzzy feeling. The sauce was between a caramel/gravy flavour with an almost egg-like consistency. Served on a bed of zingy rocket salad which offsets the intense sweet flavour of the crabmeat & sauce.


I had the battered whiting (smaller, butterflied fish in a panko, “Japanese style batter” - pictured above) & ships & my co-eater had beer battered (in beez neez) & chips - pictured below. Both were ridiculously proportioned and we could have shared one between the both of us. They added little value except for oil & fat.