Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Balkan

Address: 209 Oxford St, Darlinghurst (opposite Taylor Square/that parliament house/sandstone buildin)

*** Note there is another restuarant called "Balkan Seafood Restaurant" allegedly owned by rival family member, also located on Oxford St***

Below: This is the mixed meat/seafood grill for 3 people.

Seafood - prawns, octopus, calamari, fish, mussels

Meat - sausage, chicken, steak, possibly a minced-lamb patty of sorts.

Noteables: chicken was marinated and delightful! Lamb patty was also tasty - but everything else let me down - the seafood needed marinating (it literally tasted like it was fished out of highly salted seawater and chucked straight on the barbie) and the steak a little more consideration in the toughness.

In the background of the image, top right hand corner you also see the complimentary sauerkraut salad. This comes with most meat dishes, on our table of about 10 people we had about 4 bowls to share. I think I alone ate 2 bowls - I kept picking at it all night...and could do for the rest of my life (it's that good!)

Sauerkraut is a traditional dish from the Eastern European countries, made of fermented cabbage, and sour in taste. The Balkans' unique version also contains greens from lettuce, tomato & onion. And diced cooked potato (like a potato salad). I really do fantasize about this dish, more so than their mains!


Also tried the Kilpatrick oysters as entree - nice, not too metallic tasting - but not the best I've had.

Cabbage rolls - interesting texture, filled with some sort of minced meat which reminded me of something I can't quite put my finger on - possibly pet food (not that I've tried it)