Saturday, January 22, 2011

Greenhouse (Perth)

Address: 100 St. Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000
Tel: (08) 9481 8333
Website: http://www.greenhouseperth.com

The concept behind Greenhouse is commendable - everything is sustainable, renewable and the shopfitout is made entirely of recycled materials.

I first heard of this restaurant from reading an inflight magazine as a 'highly recommended' by Neil Perry in Perth. My faith in his taste has diminished drastically after my experience at Greenhouse - a good 'concept' is about where the buck stops.

Below: Muddled homemade lemonade

Below: Earl Grey Iced Lemon Tea - strange, commendable for the innovation but I really only drank it because it was 30+ degrees.


Above: Complementary bread with dipping oil - yes that is a jar lid. And random bit of plywood.

Below: Pasta of the day - fettucine, spinach with cherry tomatoes and fetta cheese. This was probably one of the better lunch choices because it was at least served on a plate that looked like they might have washed at least once!


Above: Scotch fillet with a summer salad - this was utterly repulsive - not only was I questioning if I would survive from salmonella/e.coli poisoning eating off this used plywood, but the beef was worse than eating an old leather shoe.

Fortunately the wait staff had a conscience enough not to charge me for the meal, but what utter disappointment.

I don't usually give bad reviews but I have to make an exception here - the menu looks better on paper than on execution. Expect to wait an eternity for your meal, and it appears the only way you can enjoy your meal here is heavily intoxicated or in pitch black darkness which is the peak time for the people with more dollars (or skanky clothing) than sense to hang out on a Friday night.