Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fremantle Markets

Address: Corner of Henderson St & South Tce, Fremantle, WA
Website: http://www.fremantlemarkets.com.au/
Trading Hours:
The Yard
- Fri 8am-8pm, Sat & Sun 8am-6pm, Mon Public Holidays 8am-6pm
The Hall - Fri 9am-8pm, Sat & Sun 9am-6pm, Mon Public Holidays 9am-6pm

I love market food and Fremantle has been the friendliest part of Perth that I've visited thus far - great beaches and relaxed vibe. The Freo markets are no different - random market food, trinkets and fresh produce from the WA region.


Above & Below: I had never had crepe suzette before but this was just utterly delightful - a thin crepe made with orange juice for that hint of citrus tang, rolled up for a convenient snack. I haven't been to Europe yet so this has certainly been an intriguing precursor for future travels.


Below: Bratwurst (German Sausages) is also on offer here - not bad, but not as good as the ones at Eumundi markets. I think the main problem was that the sausages lacked that extra crispy texture & burst of flavour in the skin, and the accompanying saukraut literally tasted like it just came out of the tin (heat it up, hide the tin - SOMETHING).

Below: Savoury Curry Pies which I got sucked into - but about 2 bites in, I knew that food poisoning was coming if I were to take any more. Be really careful - often pies mean yesterdays (or last weeks) leftovers.


Above & below: Chocolate-dipped strawberries - the best I have tasted so far. They have struck the perfect balance by not using an overly-sweet milk chocolate that highlights the sourness of the strawberries, that being said the strawberries were large, plump and perfectly in season.