Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Luneburger (German Bakery)

Address: Shop 72 Lower Ground, Queen Victoria Building 455 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000

Tel: (02) 9264 2377
Fax: (02) 9264 2399

I go to the one in Macquarie Shopping Centre, North Ryde NSW (Near Herring Rd entrance) Tel: (02) 9889 4774

I'll give it to the girls (and boys) who work there. In the whole shopping centre, they were the only food service place open (other than McDonalds') at 8am, and they also close after 5pm - so they definitely rake in the business - and for good reason because the baked goodies are fantastic!

Website: http://www.luneburger.com.au/


I am currently addicted to these sandwich rolls - I usually get the Pumpkin seed ham salad roll with butter... everything about it is so well-rounded, the 'bite' of the sliced cheese, the lettuce (I think they use cos lettuce - the purpley tinge one), tomato, cucumber and slices of meat.

There are also a variety of seeded and unseeded rolls (check website), rolls filled with pesto instead of butter, no butter, pastrami, salami, or just salad.

I have a lot of respect for the bread they make - when you look inside, you can see the seeds and grains run all through it, making it a tasty, 'flavoured' bread - giving your ordinary sandwich an instant upgrade.

Tried the sweet pastries for the first time today (after daily purchases of the sandwich rolls), namely the chocolate croissant. Two words - PURE SEX. At a glance, The croissant looks like any other, in fact I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't curved into a horseshoe (true croissants in my mind have always been curved!) and did not look worth the $3.00 I was about to part with. As soon as I bit into it, I knew I was wrong. The chocolate, was not your typical 1cm wide measly strip of chocolate hardly detectable by the human tongue, there was a decent slab of chocolate in there. But it wasn't even the generosity of the chocolate (they don't fill the whole thing with chocolate, but it was generous and balanced in the whole scheme of things), it was the taste! The chocolate was rich, semi-bitter - not your average "cadbury's"-more-sugar-than-cocoa type - it was just simply divine!

To be reviewed: The Apple Rhubarb Strudel (See below)