Monday, January 14, 2008

The Dessert Factory (Gold Coast) - Closed

NOTE: I recently (Dec 2010) visited the Q Super Centre and Dessert Factory was no more. Rumour has it they are now trading as: Mme Grenouille.

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 7am-6pm
Address: Meriton Building (Cnr Elizabeth Ave & Surf Pde), Shop 1, 2669 Gold Coast Hwy, BROADBEACH QLD 4218
Phone: 07 5538 3111
Web: http://twitter.com/MmeGrenouille

Old post on Dessert Factory:

This cake-tartlet-mousse joint is SUPERB!

I cannot get enough of their Blackforest Cake (their signature cake) - I haven't had such good blackforest cake since my birthday in 2005! I think the secret is the fact the base is like a chocolate mousse - the every bite is like a perfect infusion of flavour! You need to have all their cakes fresh though (i.e. same day), especially with blackforest because most use a liquor with dampens sponge cake to make it soggy.

Here is a photo of the fruit tart (I've never tried it but I am informed it is fresh and absolutely divine):

With this cake, I didn't quite catch the name of it but it is like a chocolate-mousse custard filled mini profiterole with toffee and slivered almond on top. I've never been a fan of custard (in fact I resent the stuff) BUT this was tolerable - the chocolate mousse, texture of and crunch of toffee was just too incredible to resist.


They have many more desserts on offer, too many for me to sample on each trip I make to the Gold Coast (especially when you're supposed to save your stomach space for lunch or dinner). The beauty of these cakes is that everything is not too sweet - everything is finetuned to provide a fine balance between taste, texture and portion size.