Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zouk @ Grand Chifley Adelaide

Address: Grand Chifley Hotel Adelaide, 208 South Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Tel: (08) 8223 2800

This evening meal choice was after an 8+ hour drive from Coober Pedy back to Adelaide so I was pretty buggered and had negative energy to think of a good place to eat and the fact my car was already parked meant I still had enough energy to drag myself downstairs for an evening meal (I am very anti room service, never had good room service food).

Entree (below): Chicken & Pistachio Meatballs with Char-Grilled Barossa Chorizo, Vegetables Relish & Warmed Turkish Bread. The chicken meatballs were the standout - great texture (cooked then fried) and the nutty mixture was just fantastic. The chorizo was way too salty for my liking, and the Turkish bread looked like a French bread stick sliced and passed through the commercial toaster. A very large entree/tasting plate.


Below: Char-grilled WA Scallops in whipped Wasabi butter & fried Nori. The photo probably doesn't do the dish any favours by making it look like scallops dragged through sewerage, but the wasabi/nori butter was quite savoury and interesting. Really dislike the digestive orange bits - doesn't add any flavour or texture and almost ruins the other flavours. Really should consider a better grade scallop....

Mains (below): Linguini Oceania - SA selected seadfood finished with Rose sauce & Parmesan. Another knockout dish - I'd say the mains were the chef's core strength. This rose sauce wasn't very tomatoey - instead it almost resembled a savoury bbq flavour. The seafood was cooked to perfection and I'd say the serving size was perfect - great, great flavour!


Above: Tea-Smoked Duck Breast with duck liver & pear ravioli served with blood orange & thyme sauce. That duck breast was tea-smoked to perfection - it was exactly what I had in mind - a strong, smoky flavour (almost like I was in the same room as the fire) infused throughout the meat without drying it out. Succulent duck breast meat and the blood orange & thyme sauce was just magical. The ravioli was a let down - the pasta tasted like wonton wrappings with some pate shoved between the layers. What's with SA and pate as a filling? Too heavy! The pear didn't quite work with the pate either - the texture and flavour was just wrong - perhaps it needed to be blended through the duck liver rather than cubed and thrown in loosely.

Desserts (below): Slow-baked Lemon & Lime Tart with Jerset double thick cream & Adelaide Hills berry compote.


Above: Grand Brandy Snap Basket containing FruChoc icecream and strawberries. This was my dessert and I absolutely loved it - what a great way to end my over-indulgent, calorific meal and my holiday. All roadtrip I was just craving a great icecream and that berry compote was just so fresh and berrylicious. Fruchoc is a SA local delicacy so without knowing I could tick off another SA foodie box. The flavour was kind of like the Gaytime icecream wth chocolate ripples through it - simple and delicious! I regret not eating the brandy snap basket but I just had no more appetite left...

This was easily my favourite meal during this South Australian adventure - an excellent execution of flavours and chef skills.