Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hindmarsh Square Outdoor Markets, Adelaide

Address: Hindmarsh Square (Park), Cnr Pulteney & Grenfell St, Adelaide SA
Website: http://www.marketsquareadelaide.com.au/
Trading Hours: Sundays?

Found this market totally by accident - I was starving for breakfast and didn't want plain old cafe food - looked out my hotel window and saw them setting up for markets!

Below: Dutch Poffertjes with cream, a squeeze of lemon juice and icing sugar - I had never eaten poffertjes before but I remember a friend raving on about these little Dutch pancakes. I loved the light zest of lemon juice but didn't enjoy the under-cookedness of the dough mixture. If that was what you were into, you would probably rate this more than I do (I like crispy pancakes).


Above: Cupcakes by a lady with a really clever trading name which I can't remember - lots of fancy sugar figurines that top the icing on the cake...

Below: There was a family selling homemade fat chips and this walnut, tomato patty burger. They had some great vegetarian burger & pastry options - I wanted to try them all but was limited in my carrying and eating capacity.

The concept is great but I'd say the burger patties need a bit more work - the flavour and texture was great - they just fell apart because a suitable bonding agent wasn't used.