Friday, February 6, 2009

Madam Woo (Canberra)


Address: 38 Giles St, Kingston (Canberra) ACT 2604
Tel: (02) 6232 6932

Opening Hours
Lunch: Tue-Fri from 12pm noon
Dinner: Tue-Sun from 5pm

I spent my first week of Canberra in Kingston, and it's a shame because it has spoilt me with all the great food they have which is not available to me in my current residence.

One of which is Madam Woo - I was informed this place was great asian fusion, and a 'lighter' option. It did not disappoint, sitting in a restaurant by myself eating this main was worth it.

I'm a sucker for thicker yellow curries like Choo Chee. Pictured below is the Prawn Choo Chee. Prawns were rid of their horrid seawater taste (that some restaurants can't get rid of), cleaned properly and marinated for a tender texture. Choo Chee was a fantastic mild, wholesome curry - I really don't think they used coconut milk so it didn't make you feel bloated and seedy afterwards.

I actually ate the whole thing and had to refrain from licking that plate because it was just so.... nice.

Service was fantastic - my main came in about 5 minutes or about as soon as the waitress turned her back with my order.

Thumbs up and can't wait to go back to try the other dishes...

Pandang Chicken: this consisted of fragrant pieces of breast meat chicken, wrapped in pandan leaves and coasted in a lemongrass-y soya sauce. A nice entrée without feeling like you’ve swallowed a kilo of deep-friedness.


Seafood Green Curry: This was a little heavier than I had anticipated, but still a classic example of a lighter, non-soupy version of a thai green curry. The seafood gave it a blander flavour, but was still very enjoyable with rice and gave it an extra density.



Red Duck Curry: This was one of the sweeter curries, as duck tends to make it. A little lighter than the green curry, but definitely no substitute for flavour there.