Friday, May 16, 2008

j-kitchen (Gold Coast)


Address: 3131 Surfers Paradise Blvd, Surfers Paradise, QLD (see photo above for location)

Above: you want to follow the A-banner that I have highlighted by the red rectangular box for J-Kitchen...

This was a very random stopover lunch meal. We were planning to go to this Sushi joint upstairs but they were closed so we stopped by here. Taking real chances here because it was mostly empty and looked kind of dodge.

I ordered the Karakuchi Niku Udon (spicy beef udon) as I was curious to sample this concoction.
And.... it didn't disappoint me. In fact, I would go as far as saying that I quite enjoyed it, and I would go back! (Since not many places make spicy beef udon, if any).


The soup is where its at - soy based, with sesame seeds, some shallots, chilli and the most unique thing I noticed was that I could actually taste the infused soy bean sprout flavour. It was really cool! Udon texture was also perfect - aldente as the Italians would put it.

I've had some pretty nasty udon in the past, so I know how it can be done wrong (e.g plastic taste, too soft, undercooked etc) - so authentic Japanese udon is very important!

This dish was $11 - so not bad for a quick lunch!